Saturday, October 15, 2016

Brien's Green Chile

I promised this recipe last year and lost the recipe my darling husband had written down, but I was going through my cook books this week and lookie what I found!!!
We stocked up on green chilies at the pumpkin patch, I am talkin' a bushel, like 10 lbs of green chilies taking up my fridge. When we got home my mister immediately set to work making some green chile and it was so good! 

He refused to take pictures as he goes, like I do (I get made fun of relentlessly for stopping while I am cooking to snap pictures) but the finished product was just beautiful, the smell was literally mouth watering and I actually just ended up eating it with a spoon in a bowl, like soup!

You need to above ingredients. In case you can't read it...
You need:
4 cups of water
6 tsps of chicken bullion
1 7oz can of diced tomatoes, we use mild rotel
1/2 of a white onion chopped
1 lb of diced pork
4 large green chilies, chopped
1 tsp of minced garlic
2 Tbsp of flour

This year we doubled all of the ingredients and it was gone in 3 days flat. So the moral of the story is, make a big batch.

First bring the water and bullion to a boil in a large stock pot. Once it is rolling add in the tomatoes, onions, green chiles and garlic.

In a 12 inch pan, saute the diced pork until cooked through and then add in the flour to make a roux. 
Then add that into the broth and veggies. This year we also added some fresh diced jalapenos (totally optional) to have some extra heat.

Next let it simmer on low and let all those yummy flavors mix together. I think Brien simmered it for about an hour and then we couldn't stand it any longer and had to eat some! It was a little soupy last year so Brien added in a cornstarch/water mixture to thicken it up a titch. Just mix 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and a splash of water. Add it in until you have the desired texture! Be careful a little goes a long way!

It thickened up perfectly and ta-da!

I had never been introduced to the wonderful world of green chile before I met Brien and now it has become a fall staple! We had no idea what we were doing the first time we made it, so give it try, you will NOT be disappointed!



No comments:

Post a Comment