Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Crockpot Apple Butter


Last week on glorious fall break, I decided to try something fun and fall-ish! I have always wanted to try my hand at canning and or making jelly/jam, but I am not so patient or good with these kinds of things!

I found this recipe last week on Pinterest that didn't involve anything like blanching or pectin and I decided to give it a go! Apple butter here we come!

It was SO easy and the crock pot does all of the hard work for you!

You need:
3-5 lbs of apples, peeled, cored and sliced--We had a bunch of galas from the kids lunches last week, so we used those, I am sure any apple will work!
3/4 cup of brown sugar
 1 Tbsp of cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp of cloves
1/2 Tbsp nutmeg

My trusty tools got the job done quick!

First peel, slice and core the apples. Then rinse them and dump them in the crock pot.


Next mix together the sugar and spices, that's all the ingredients you need!

Toss the mixture right over the apples in the crock pot... 


Let the apples cook on high for 3-5 hours, stirring every hour, each hour the apples get a little bit softer and smaller in size.

Once they are soft enough to mash up turn off the crock pot. 

Give the apples a final stir to coat in the spice/sugar juice in the bottom and they they are ready puree!                                      
                                            
I did mine in the good old blender in a few batches. I blended them on the highest setting until it was thick and smooth  or until you get the texture you like.


You could add some of the remaining liquid from the crock pot if the mixture was not smooth enough to your liking.

After the apples are blended, pour them into jars or containers and allow them to cool.
Then pop them in refrigerator to store!
So far we had apple butter on pancakes, toast and right out of the jar. It's not quite like butter or quite like jelly, kind of like really smooth silky apple sauce! 

It's not exactly what I was expecting, but it was easy, made my house smell amazing and it's pretty tasty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment