Sunday, October 30, 2016

No Sew Spooky Ghost Costume

This year my little man came up with the least original Halloween costume of all times... A ghost.
His older wiser sister decided she wanted to be Hermione from Harry Potter and she wanted Kellen to be Dobby or Hedwig, how cute would that have been?? Elf or an owl, but he was not having either of those.

I was picturing some awful costume involving a sheet with the eyes cut out, but after some scouring pinterest, I found some inspiration!

After standing in line at the fabric store for almost 2 hours, I left with 2 yards of soft white fleece and 2 sheets of black adhesive felt.

The only other supplies I needed was sharp scissors and fabric glue.

First I laid out the fleece flat on the floor...
Then I had Kellen lay down in the middle of it, I made a slit on the top fold for him to stick his head through after I measured his neck.

Next I laid it flat again and had him lay down to measure length and width and marked it with a sharpie.

Then I cut out the access fleece in kind of an oval shape so it would not drag the ground!
The next step is what takes forever! It's just like making a tie blanket, make slits every 1 1/2 inches apart. I made my slits about 5 inches up. I didn't actually measure it, I just kind of eye balled it and there are some major boo-boos, but once everything is all tied up, you really can't even tell!

After all of the slits are cut on the raw edges, tie the individual slits into a knot, not together...
Like SO... 
He was really excited!
Now it's face making time! Kellen wanted a spooky mouth and funny eyes. Yeah, kid I don't even know what that means. After scouring the internet with the search "ghost faces", I almost gave up! But then I had brilliant idea, I searched printable pumpkin cut outs instead until he found a suitable mouth and set of eyes and we printed out both patterns.

Next, cut out the printed mouth and eyes and trace them onto the back of the felt and cut out. Even though the felt was already sticky I went with some fabric glue for additional adhesive! This was my VERY first attempt a home made Halloween costume and I was not going to mess it up!

No too bad for my first home made job! Kellen is super excited and I think it came out pretty cute, for such a boring idea! He is just going to wear some black pants and a white tee under and My grandma, bless her, found a white knit hat for him to wear with it!

We are already for trick or treating! Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment