Monday, September 11, 2017

Peaches for Days!

A few weekends ago we had the most fun at my in-laws house! We had grand plans to can peaches. I have never attempted this feat, but I have always wanted to try it! I would have made a great pioneer lady...
SO. Many. Peaches.

Kellen was all about eating, not so much helping...
I am not going to lie, it is a process! I don't know where we got our recipe, but it was intensive, especially with how many peaches there were! I am sure I am forgetting a few steps, but it went something like this...

Score the peaches, boil the peaches for about 1 minute. Peel the peaches, Slice the peaches.
Then while all the peeling and slicing is happening, you make the syrup, equal parts sugar and water, while that is simmering, you boil the sliced peaches for a few more minutes. Then put them into cans, top with syrup and little bit of brandy.
Next, seal the cans and put the whole jar back into a pot of boiling water, just enough to cover the jar by a few inches to seal them shut. Whew!


It was a ton of work, but such fun with these lovely ladies and now we have peaches for days! 

Last week, when I was sick, I actually poured like half a jar over a bowl of ice cream and it was amazing! I also have been making peach smoothies and peach cobbler, all kinds of fun things.
My husband was making fun of me, because the whole purpose of canning is so that you have a stock pile for the winter or something like that. 
We are down to 2 jars, eat em, if you got em!



No comments:

Post a Comment