Thursday, January 12, 2017

Homemade hot cocoa love it or leave it??

This weekend, when I finally had a second to breathe, Callie suggested we make some hot cocoa. That sounded marvelous, cocoa, comfy clothes and watching Netflix with my girl!

Yeah... I could have made that look more appetizing and pretty, in hindsight....


I have had this recipe for homemade hot cocoa on my pinterest forever and one of my girl friends swears by it, so we decided to whip up a batch....
Here is what you need...
powdered milk
coffee creamer
powdered sugar
powdered baking cocoa

That's all! No creepy ingredients just good old easy things...
This is for a huge bulk, batch that I am sure you could measure out into jars or something adorable and give as presents.

So you mix together:
10 cups of powdered milk
1 3/4 cups of coffee creamer
4 cups of powdered sugar
1 3/4 cup of baking cocoa

Everything was going great, I had all my ingredients out and then dun, DUN, DUN...
 I opened the powdered milk and there were weird little packets of the powdered stuff. Hmm?? So I measure it out and it only was 3 cups. What?? What was I supposed to do??

Now I am not the greatest with math, but I thought, "Well I'll just cut the other ingredients down to match." Yeah, that was where everything went wrong!

I decided to go with like 3/4 cup of creamer, 3 cups of powdered sugar and 1 cup of cocoa. That sounds about right, right? Wrong.

So I went ahead and mixed up all the things using my estimated measurements and we gave it a try.

                                            Callie swears it was deliciouso. Me, not so much!

It was not so creamy, a little watery and the chocolate was undetectable....
You need a BIG bowl for this one!

I went back and added another 1/2 cup of cocoa and another cup of powdered sugar and it was manageable, but not amazing.

I think I will try, try again using the correct measurements and be sure to sift everything (it was a little lumpy) The cost for all of the ingredients was about $8 and a container of store bought mix is like 6, but we have waaaaayyy more than the containers, so it would probably be a money saver, if you consume lots of cocoa!

So the jury is still out on this one. For now, I leave it to the experts over at Swiss Miss to make my cocoa!




No comments:

Post a Comment