Friday, February 6, 2015

Cheesy Potato and Sausage Bake

Last weekend it was COLD! Snowy slushy yuck, that called for some good old childhood comfort food!
Callie took this picture on the way home from church on Sunday because the trees were "ever-so beautiful", her words!


When I was a kid it was hot dogs and potatoes. I have modified the recipe slightly (and probably added tons of calories) and it was a big hit!

It comes together pretty easily and is super yummy!
You need:
6 cups of peeled potatoes, I used russet
1 lb of smoked sausage, sliced and cooked
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups of milk
dash of salt and pepper
8 oz velveeta
 1 and 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese shredded

Pre-heat the oven to 350.
Peel, cube and boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes. I used to HATE peeling potatoes, but on Christmas eve my mother in law introduced to me the "y" peeler. Where has this been all my life?!?
I immediately went home and bought like 5! It seriously takes half the time and does a better job!
Back to the recipe...

While the potatoes are boiling, cut the sausage into regular old circle slices. Then, I cook mine in the microwave for about 4 minutes. I suppose if you wanted them more crispy you could heat them in a pan, on the stove top.

Next, make the white sauce: combine the butter, flour, salt, pepper, milk and velveeta. Let that cook on medium until everything is bubbly and melty. Then add in the 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and stir to melt it.

Drain the potatoes and toss with the cooked sausage and put in a greased 9x13 pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and top with the remaining shredded cheese.

Bake uncovered for 35 minutes and you will have one amazing meal!





No comments:

Post a Comment