Friday, January 15, 2016

If Crocheting is wrong, I don't want to be right....

Remember this summer when I learned to crochet?? This has become quite the fun little hobby for me! I haven't really branched out much from the comfort zone of scarves but I just love them so much and so do other people, so this has become a pretty convenient little hobby, as well!


So far I have made 6 scarves, 1 I have given away and I am working on one for my mother-in-law currently. I am by no means an expert, but I feel like I am doing pretty good.

I am going to try some new patterns this year and maybe actually stick to a pattern, now that I know what most of the stitches are and can read a pattern. I have loads of things on my Pinterest boards!

                                                            Crochet Easy Baby Blanket - Tutorial ❥ 4U hilariafina http://www.pinterest.com/hilariafina/:
Maybe a blanket??
crochet boot cuff pattern free | Crochet Pattern: Scalloped Boot Cuffs | ShopLocket:
Boot cuffs perhaps??
Make a easy Earwarmer for those "lion" days of March and keep your ears warm. Choose your favorite color of Lion's Pride Woolspun and check out the pattern by @rescuedpaw.:
Earwarmers, bring it on!

It's Crazy easy, once you get the hang of it! My Grandma got me a book and that was great for upclose pictures. I have also found a few videos that were super helpful and easy to practice with!
So first...
The original scarf, that started it all...
It is all slip stitches SS 50 across and I didn't really count how many long it was. I just wanted it to long enough to wrap around twice. I used a thinner yarn (6.5mm) and a size N hook.
Then when I thought it was long and wide enough, I stitched the ends together using the same slip stitch...
Here's the video...


The next scarf was for Callie...
Same yarn, same hook I just used a single crochet for this one. She loves how it turned out and it is much less of a hot mess than mine! Her's was a little skinnier, like 30 stitches across and also shorter, as she has a smaller neck, so I just measured my first row of chains until it would go around her neck 2 times and then 16 rows of single stitches. Then same stitch a single crochet to tie the ends together...
Here's a helpful video...



My next projects, I got wild, okay not really... but hey it was not what I was used to working with!
I used a much thicker yarn and this mammoth hook
It's ginormous!
This is my favorite one!!
I used a half double stitch. You chain about 100 (enough to wrap around my neck 3 times) and about 10 rows of half double stitches, then weave the ends together using a half double as well.
Here's the video



Last one I promise... This one was for my sister-in-law, who loves orange! I used the same thick yarn as the maroon scarf and the same huge hook. This time I tried out  a double crochet stitch. Same pattern as the maroon scarf, as well. 100 across, 10 rows, weave together the ends using a double crochet!
I love how it turned out and I hope she loves it too!
Here's the video...


So there you have it, scarves, glorious scarves. Who knows, maybe by this time next year, I will be onto knitting and making sweaters. That would be a sweet deal,  oh to never buy another sweater!







No comments:

Post a Comment