Monday, January 13, 2014

9 years!

Last Monday marked the beginning of my ninth year teaching. I seriously cannot believe that I have been doing this for almost a decade!

At ACU, I did a victory lap (4 1/2 years of college) and was blessed beyond belief to have my first interview and job within a few days of graduating. I would be teaching 6th grade reading at a small rural school in east Texas. I loved my first position. Those students, the amazing people I worked with and just being in a small town are things that I will never forget. It's crazy to think that my first "batch" of kiddos will be graduating college in a year!

After being there for 4 1/2 years, I made the huge transition to move back home to Colorado. I was terrified to move and not have a new position lined up, but God had a plan. After being settled back with my family for about a week, I applied for every single job I was qualified for. Just a few days later, I was offered a job at a very large and very urban school. The TOTAL opposite of where I had been for the past few years. I have been at my current school for 5 years and everyday is a new adventure! 

Organization is always something that I have excelled at, but I am always happy to borrow ideas. As they say (I always wonder who "they" is?) "There are no original ideas in education." At my current school we have no main library. All of the literacy teachers have a classroom library. I, thankfully, inherited a pretty well stocked and organized my library and have streamlined my check out process and I thought I would share.


It is super easy to utilize shelf space effectively. I use plastic shoe box bins from Target or the dollar store. My books are organized according to genre which I have labeled with neon colored note cards, I love bright colors at school!  Each box is labeled and students have easy access to the books and they can reshelf them independently. Functional and pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment