Saturday, March 29, 2014

Stay at home moms

So there is the phenomena that I only notice when I am off on a break and I have to drop off and pick up Callie during regular school hours.

See, normally because of my school hours, I drop her off way early at before school program and pick her up when my kiddos are all gone and I have made it all the way back across town, to after school program. I really do not have much contact with the families of kids Callie goes to school with.

I first noticed it during my maternity leave, what on earth do these people do for a living that they can all pick up and drop off their children, at any hour of the day??

Brien has suggested that these might be what people call, "Stay-at-home-moms" and dads, for that matter. Upon closer inspection, I have noticed that this must be some kind of club. One that I am not a part of. These parents, particularly the mothers, all seem to dress the same. They wear yoga pants, tennis shoes, no make up and giant sunglasses. They walk tiny dogs, carry Starbucks coffee and have babies strapped to them in some sort of fashion. They usually drive mini vans or SUVs and drop off small herds of children.
They all seem to know each other and have lots to discuss every time they see each other.

 I can't decide if I am jealous, dislike them or am indifferent...

I think it might be, that I feel a little guilty. I looovvveeee my babies, so much! I am incredibly fortunate to have a job where I get to be home with them almost 4 months a year. When Callie was a baby, I HAD to work to support us, I still have too now, but we seem to have more leeway money wise. But reality is I miss my kids and sometimes I feel like I miss important things in their lives because I am at work, staying late, going in early, at a meeting, grading papers etc.

Every time I go on a break I notice these parents, that don't miss anything that their children do, so is Everything  really special? I try to justify it by saying, "well, the time we spend together is really good quality time because we don't take it for granted". But again,the truth is that I don't think that I would be  a great mom, if I stayed at home with them all day.

I love my job and what I do. It is challenging and emotionally exhausting teaching at an inner city school.But it is so rewarding and I know that right now, this is where God has put me and I don't feel called away to my home or another school. So for right now, I don't get to be a part of the "stay at home mom club".

And I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment