Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Gooey Butter Cake and Frown Lines

Today was a rough day. My face hurts, from frowning. I feel like I might need some botox in the near future. Sometimes my students act like they have no idea what's going on. Then I had to conference with them about their test results regarding reading levels. Those were some tough conversations. I have really nice students but they have come from 5th grade with 3rd grade average for reading levels. Hello growth scores! They are going to be great!

Besides being a loonnngg day, I have parent conferences from 4-8 tomorrow, so that makes for some 14 hour days. Fall break cannot come soon enough! When days like this happen I needs something delicious to tame my frayed nerves. Enter Butter Cake.

If you are ever in need of a quick and easy dessert, have I got a recipe for you! Last Saturday after the pumpkin patch we had a yummy dinner and I was asked to bring some dessert. So I threw together a little butter cake action! I got this recipe for one of my sweet church friends, when I lived in East Texas and I used to make it all the time!

You need:
For the bottom layer:
One box of yellow cake mix
One stick of butter, melted
2 eggs 
1 tsp of vanilla extract

For the top layer:
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened (for the record I used 1/3 fat, you know, to make it healthier)
I box or 4 cups of powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla

1. Pre heat the oven to 350. Mix up the ingredients for the bottom layer and press into a greased 9x13 pan. It will be a little dry, just smoosh it right in there.


2. Next, Mix up all the ingredients for the bottom layer except for the powdered sugar, using an electric mixer, I used my trusty Kitchen Aid. Next gradually add in the powdered sugar until everything is smooth. Then pour over the top layer and spread evenly.


3. Pop it into the oven for about 40 minutes. I always check on it and end up adding 5-10 minutes of additional cook time. The top should be golden brown and pretty firm.
Like so...
Slice those babies up into brownie sized chunks and you have tasty treat for those times when you need an on the fly dessert OR if your face hurts from frowning!

No comments:

Post a Comment