Monday, January 12, 2015

Baked potato soup!



The weather has been chilly and dreary around these parts, so we have been eating a lot of soup! I love baked potato soup and this recipe is a bunch of recipes that I have combined from other recipes, per usual.

You need:
1- 5 lb bag of potatoes cubed (I used new potatoes because I did not want to peel them)
Chicken bullion (I used 6 cubes)
1 medium yellow or white onion chopped
1 stick of butter
4 cups of milk (It is suggested to use a higher percentage of fat, I used 2%)
4 cups of cheese (I used cheddar and colby jack)
1/2 sour cream
1 package of bacon bits or 8-10 slices of bacon
(Depending on how creamy you like it, you might need some cornstarch)

 First I cube up some new potatoes I use almost a whole 5lb bag for this recipe. Then I boil them in chicken bullion depending on how much soup you make, I would say a cube for every cup of water.
While the potatoes are boiling, saute 1 medium yellow or white onion and a stick of butter. Get that butter nice and melty and the onion good and soft.
Then I  realized it was close to dinner and company was comin' and I stopped taking pictures!
After the potatoes are nice and soft, but not falling apart,  add in the onion and butter mixture. Next stir in 4 cups of milk. I used 2 % because that's what we had. I am sure that half and half or whole milk would probably make it a little more creamy, but, I am trying to watch what we eat!


After you stir in the milk, bring the mixture back to a light rolling boil and stir in 4 cups of cheese. I did a mixture of cheddar and colby jack. I even added a little velveeta, we can't watch what we eat too closely! Stir to melt all that cheesy goodness...

Then I added in a little sour cream to thicken it up and stirred in a package of bacon bits. Let it simmer for a titch and it should be ready to serve. (If your soup looks a little too soupy and not thick enough, mix a little cornstarch with water and whisk in, but don't get too crazy, a little goes along way!)  Yummy creamy potato-y goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment