Friday, June 20, 2014

The little house that could

A few years back Brien and I embarked on the very long journey to find a house. We started in March, looked at probably 100 houses, had 3 deals that fell through, but we finally ended up with our home. I remember when we were getting the house we now live inspected, I just sat in the car and pouted because I was not in love with this house. I thought it was gross, but I also knew that my husband saw the potential. I also did not want to get my heart set on something else that would be whipped away from us by something stupid.

I remember the weeks leading up to the closing, being confined to our tiny apartment spending endless hours on pinterest trying to find decorating ideas. I remember Brien telling me I ought to start packing, but I refused because I just knew that if I did, then something would fall through and I would just have to unpack it all. I remember every time it rained, being on edge because we had rotting siding and all kinds of leaks.

                                                              

But God is amazing, we closed on time, and then the work began. All of our friends and family stopped by to help us, but we were so overwhelmed with projects and had NO plan that we didn't even know how to put them to good use.

 We had two weeks left on our apartment lease, so that meant 2 weeks to get our house livable. There were days that I was so exhausted from working at 5 in the morning until 11 at night, that I wanted to cry. I watched our neighbors, so very envious, that they were having barbecues and planting flowers and I was scraping ceiling popcorn and painting miles of baseboard. I became quite handy and resourceful. Callie also became very good at entertaining herself.
                                         
                                       
So we are now three years later...We still have so many projects to make our house better, but we live here and it's pretty and it's safe and it's quiet. As we speak, Brien is digging out the egress window and is like 5 feet down in a hole up to his neck in dirt. But we plant flowers and have barbecues and have a home.
So onto the comparing, I love this part!
before...
After
Now inside the house... The living room...
Before...

After!

Before...

After!

Before...

After

After

Before...

After
After
After

Before...

After
After
After

Before...


After
I don't have any before of the laundry room, but trust me, it was horrible, linoleum stuck to the sub floor, broken doors, scary powder room, yuck!
After
After
After













No comments:

Post a Comment